Saturday, November 19, 2011

My baby suffers a stroke...


Seven months ago, the future of my son was bleak and uncertain.  On his first day of life, he suffered a major stroke to the left side of his brain.  He was suffering from seizures and he was living in the NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit). 

As an occupational therapist, I knew that his life would be different from the one I had envisioned.  I was prepared to accept that my child would be different.

I was ready to deal with right-sided weakness, trouble breastfeeding, trouble holding up his head, trouble rolling, trouble sitting up, trouble swallowing solid food, trouble crawling, and many other milestones.

I prepared my heart and mind for the challenges to follow.  I was going to be a super mom/therapist.  I would do everything in my power to help my son reach his potential.

I knew it wasn't going to be easy.  I knew my own illness would make things even more difficult. 



 Almost 6 months old


Things didn't turn out as difficult as I imagined.

Not only is he reaching his milestones, he's reaching some of them ahead of schedule!  How did we do it?  That's coming next!  Stay tuned!

5 comments:

  1. Can't wait. And damn! I wish there were a practitioner closer!

    Hey, once you're ready, I'll add you on my blogroll and you can add me to yours. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shasta,

    Welcome! Yes. When things are a little more put together...I'd love to add you to my blogroll and be added to yours!

    Thanks!

    Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you continue to add to your story here.

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hoping you continue to share your story, Bea.

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome Barbara,

    Yes. I plan to continue sharing my story!

    Thanks for visiting!

    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete